Wednesday, November 13, 2013

San Jacinto Mall by Dontavious Cotright


The San Jacinto mall has been providing a place for people to go for many of years. It has provided the city of Baytown with jobs and opportunities to the community with donating to schools and having events that would keep people occupied and not bored. Business may have decreased in the years but the mall can still have a lot to offer to the community. The San Jacinto Mall just needs someone with new ideas to be put something exciting back into the San Jacinto and rejuvenate and make it like used to be. The San Jacinto Mall still has some hope into it. It is too big and has been around too long and tribute too much to the city of Baytown for it to go to waste. The potential is unbelievable for it to sit there. With all the space in there and the vacant stores it should be something the city can do to help and spark some ideas together to give this city something to look forward to like it used to be in the first couple years of opening. Baytown is growing left and right and the San Jacinto Mall should grow with it. It is a historic place that started all of the growth of the businesses that are open now. Life can be put back in there with some popular stores instead of people driving hours away to other malls and boosting their business when the San Jacinto Mall is in desperately need of that business. With the youth that is growing up it could give them something more to do on a Friday or Saturday night. Instead of just being packed on holidays it should be packed every weekend like it used to be when my parents and me where growing up. It should not be that hard to make it happen with all the people that stay in Baytown it should be easy.

            If you been in Baytown you probably have been in the San Jacinto Mall. San Jacinto Mall opened on March 4, 1981 with anchors stores such as JC Penny’s, Sears, Macy’s and Mervin’s when it was open. When San Jacinto Mall opened it was very successful when it opened because of the location of it. Baytown was a small area it the San Jacinto Mall was huge thing to be open at the time it had opened. The San Jacinto Mall has decreased in business these last few years because of the competition of other businesses around the area of Baytown and has changed owner 4 times since it has been open. The mall use to be a nice place to go and it still is business just slowed down. The mall use to offer a fair before they added Texas Road house to the parking lot. The interview I had with my dad. He said “the San Jacinto Mall was the place to be when it had first opened. It had a night club in there that I use to go to sometimes when I was in Baytown. I took you and your sister there a lot when you were little. I took you and her upstairs and use to play on the little play area the San Jacinto Mall had for kids and took you the movies also. I do not know what happened to it now it has not been the same for some years but it is still apart of Baytown and the San Jacinto mall help the city growing into what it is now”. The San Jacinto mall still has some what business because of the movie theatre. That is what is probably still keeping it open until this day.

            I remember the mall was around before I could even remember. My parents use to go that mall when they were in their 20’s maybe even teens. My dad even said the mall use to have a club in it but I do not know how true that is. I remember back in my middle schools days everybody uses to want to be up there every weekend because that was the thing to do at the time. I literally watch every movie that came out in the movie theater back when I was in middle school. The mall use to be so pack that the movies use to be sold out and if you did not get there early then you were not seeing that movie at all. Another thing I loved about the mall was the orange chicken I use to get from that Chinese restaurant. I cannot remember the name but I know it tasted like the best thing on earth. I also liked the arcade games they were fun too. It was never a dull moment at the mall when I was in middle school because everyone was bored and had nothing better to do with their Saturdays. The mall has taken a lot of my money from going to Thristy’s and getting that every time I went. I missed when the mall had Chik Fil A in it too because you could get it with ease and did not have to wait as long as people do now when they go to Chik Fil A. The mall was an exciting place when I was growing up to go and my little sisters even spend some of their Saturdays up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment